Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I spent the day in Kindergarten

Yesterday was Elijah's first day back to school after his tonsils were taken out. He was more upset about going to school than I think I have EVER seen him before over ANYTHING in his short life. He cried in the car on the way there and would not let me undo the seat belt. Even with all of the crying he had SUPERHERO strength as he held on to me as we waited for his teacher to bring them into school. I gathered from the few words that he would mumble through his sobbing that he was terrified that if he did anything that exerted too much energy at school, his throat would start bleeding. He was genuinely scared that something very bad was going to happen to him. Mrs. Loeffler was very understanding and allowed me to come in to the class to help calm Elijah down. Clearly, he was not going to stop crying very easily. If I was not sitting right next to him, he was turning around every 2-3 seconds to make sure that I had not abandoned him. After 1 1/2 hours, I asked him if he wanted to say a prayer so that he would feel better. He was anxious, so we walked down the hall and knelt down behind a cupboard where we could have some privacy. I prayed first and then Elijah said a prayer. He was able to calm down for a little while. I finally convinced him that nothing bad had happened to him at school that day, and his teacher was not going to let anything bad happen after I left. Very reluctantly and with the tears still falling, he allowed me to leave (since he only had 50 minutes of school left). My dilemma was: If I had taken him home with me because he was upset, he would have thought that it was OK to be out of school...and he would have taken advantage of that later on. Even though it was painful as a mother to have my child so upset, especially in front of his classmates, I am glad that I didn't back down. When he got home from school, he acted like nothing had happened.
TODAY- He asked Brad to give him a blessing before he went to school. When it was time to leave, he started acting the same as the day before and I told him that I would not be able to come to class with him today. As he lined up to go into the school, he began to get emotional again, but he was brave and went to class.
PRAYER WORKS!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails