
Pioneer Day is a big deal here in Utah...WHY?, because Mormon pioneers seemed to bring civilization here way back in the 1840's. Pioneer Day is a big deal to ME...WHY?, because my Great, Great, Great Grandfather was the first pioneer to arrive in the Salt Lake Valley on July 22, 1847. Orson Pratt and Erastus Snow had one horse between them. One would ride for a mile, tie off the horse and begin walking. The next man would catch up to the horse, get on and ride a mile and start the process over again. Orson was the lucky one who rode the horse the last mile to the Salt Lake Valley. He is the one depicted on the horse on this monument.

I am ever grateful to a loving Grandmother who thought that she would pass down the importance of our family heritage to me. She would patiently tell me stories of her life and the lives of those who came before her. She would take me to cemeteries and bring me along to do geneology work. I was the only one that she brought with her to the dedication of a special plaque in honor of our pioneer history that is on display at the "This is the Place Heritage Park". She instilled in me the importance of remembering who I am, and that will influence the way that I carry myself. I would assume that not many people have a somewhat close relative that is featured on a monument or in statue form, but I am lucky. I have the resemblance of this man to look to. And now I can pass this legacy on to my children. Thanks Grandma!
1 comment:
Ann...I never knew that about you!
I'm loving the blog, thanks for sharing:)
Heather
Post a Comment